Caribbean Hurricane Season

2012

From his vantage point high above the earth in...
Hurricane season runs from June 1st through to November 30th each year. We’re about half way through the 2012 hurricane season.

NOAA’s updated 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook indicates a high likelihood (85% chance) of a near- or above-normal season. The outlook calls for a 50% chance of a near-normal season, a 35% chance of an above normal season, and only a 15% chance of a below-normal season. See NOAA definitions of above-, near-, and below-normal seasons. The Atlantic hurricane region includes the North Atlantic Ocean, the Caribbean Sea, and the Gulf of Mexico.

2012 Real-time Hurricane Satellite Image from NOAA

Source: National Hurricane Center

The busiest hurricane season on record was 2005, which saw 28 named storms, including the devastating Hurricane Katrina.

North Atlantic 2012 Hurricane Names

Alberto
Beryl
Chris
Debby
Ernesto
Florence
Gordon
Helene
Isaac
Joyce
Kirk
Leslie
Michael
Nadine
Oscar
Patty
Rafael
Sandy
Tony
Valerie
William

Caribbean weather sea surface temperatureSea Surface Temperature & Worldwide Storm Activity

Click Map for Hurricane Advisories, Tracking, etc
Source: Weather Underground

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s